Monday, May 21, 2012

Ogden Half with Friends

Saturday was an amazing day.  the weather was perfect.  The view was as well.  And after training since the fall, it was the perfect ending (well, middle) to a  long 9 months of getting back into the shape I haven't been in since high school some 20+ years ago.
Last fall I saw some of my friends from the ward out running.  Once of which had just had a baby.  I thought, if they can do it, so can I.  I  decided to join them. 
That first run was such a laugh.  It took me 40 minutes to run/walk 2 miles. 
After about two weeks, I was doing a bit better.  After a month, they started talking about running in the Ogden half marathon.  I didn't even know how far a marathon was.  But they all seemed to think it was possible.  Two of them had run a half before.  So, after a couple weeks of thinking about it, I signed up.
I eventually got to where I could run 3  miles without walking.  Then my knee started hurting.  I was more worried about my hip, the hip that Little Miss D had her head pressed against for the last 2 months inside.  The hip was fine, but the knee, wasn't. 
I started taking fish oil and icing it after a run.  I could do this.  I didn't want to quit.  After Christmas, my knee didn't hurt unless I missed running for more than 5 days. 
We started following a training schedule, and adding on miles, and being more diligent.  5 miles was the furthest I had run in high school.  Six miles was a major accomplishment for me.  When we ran 10 miles, it was such a great feeling. 
Two weeks before the race, we found that it would just be two of us running still.  There were 6 of us training together, four of which were not signed up to run, but were such a great support for us two.  Then, major happiness, 3 of our friends were able to talk the others into letting them have their spots.  I was so happy.  It is so much better to run with friends. 
We made t-shirts, made plans, and were set to do this thing.


I am so thankful for my body, for my friends, for my family who supported me, and for Heavenly Father for helping me to keep going. Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails