Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Teaching "Come, Follow Me"

This year's new curriculum for the youth, Come, Follow Me is so amazing!  As a mother and former teacher, I think this will help parents and leaders learn how to help our youth.  The main thing I enjoy about it, is that the spirit is the teacher, not the leader.  the leader is just the facilitator. 
I have taken a different role in raising the older three children.  I feel that they can learn more by studying things on their own, than by my lecturing.  My father was a lecturer.  And his topic was always the "merit system".  Now as an adult I understand what he was saying, but as a youth, I got to where I would just tune him out.  I mean, what does "merit" mean, anyway.  And what does that have to do with keeping my room clean.  So I decided then that I would have discussions instead.  I posted the FHE board we made earlier.  I really love the idea of having the kids take part in all aspects of family night.  Not just the parent. 
Okay, enough ranting. 
This new curriculum is amazing! 
Here is one example that really says all that I feel: 
Trevor Atkison, a teacher from Idaho, USA, recommends teachers “prepare and ask inspired questions, then don’t be afraid of silence while the students think and the Spirit speaks. Once someone comments, others will follow.”
Now, how do we use this in our parenting techniques? Well, no more being "helicopter parents".  There is no need to hover, when we have taught our children to make their own choices.  This begins when they are 2 and want to choose their won outfit to wear.  I mean, yeah, some might think we are color blind or uncaring, but in actuality we are VERY caring.  Because when they are 12 we will not still be choosing their clothes for them, and they will know that we trust their judgement.  Now, does this mean we just quit parenting and guiding?  NO WAY!  We are still 100% involved.  But we are on the sidelines, not on the field.  I have seen parents who will interfere in their children's free play.  If the child isn't using the toy how it was designed, they will take it from them and show them how to use it.  For example:  A child was playing with a little people toy and making it hop across the floor.  The parent took the toy and said, "No." Then put the toy in the car and pushed it across the floor, then said, "Like this."  Really??
So, yeah, no being "Bossy".  No lectures.  And let them come up with some ideas.  Guide them, give them a how  or why.  Answer questions.  But let them be their own boss.  It will work. Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails