Saturday, July 5, 2014

Culling the Bossiness

In Doctrine and Covenants Section 58 it says in the following verses: 26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
 27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness.
 
I believe that this is how we should govern ourselves.  I also have used it as a theme in my parenting.  Why should I waste all this energy bossing around my children.  I have felt that it is best for all involved to give them assignments, and then let them accomplish them how they feel is best.
Now this is kinda hard, especially when it comes to family jobs.  Dishes and laundry, to name a few.
I get a bit grouchy when things aren't folded how I would fold them.  How wrong is that!  I will show them how I do things, then stand back (actually leave the vicinity) and let them get 'er done.  Then I have to try so hard not to redo anything.  It's fine.  No one will die because the towels aren't folded just how mom does it!  (Breath, it's okay)
This also works for playing and coloring, and just about anything kids do.  Just get them started, and then shut your mouth.  No bossiness required.  Really!  
I have laughed (as quietly as possible on the inside) when  parent will take a toy or what have you, from their child and shown them how to use it.  Where is the imagination?  Don't you remember that these kids are coming from Heaven smarter every day?  Let them alone!

Now, when I hear someone bossing around my children, it really does cause the blood to boil.  I am standing right here!  If I haven't said anything to them, then just leave them alone.  
(Okay, so if I don't see something that is dangerous to someone physically, emotionally, or spiritually, then it is okay to intervene.  Other than that, but out let it go, please.)




Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails