Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thoughts of Thankfulness: Fathers

As I mentioned earlier, my dad wasn't the best, but he did teach me a few things.
He was a perfectionist. He wanted a job done correctly, and would send us back to redo until it was up to his specifications. (Hmm...I should do this with my own children.) When we would sweep the floor, he would makes sure we got all the corners. If any part was missed, we had to back and try again. He was also this way about the vehicle. He wanted the spots to be completely gone. the inside had to be as clean as the outside. The windows, the dashboard and consoles, the floor.
He had a great sense of humor. He was able to make a difficult situation better. He had a nickname for everyone and everything. Each of us kids had a nickname. Mine was Seven Bowl because I could eat seven bowls of cereal in a sitting. He called burritos "burr-ay-guz, ice cream "screms", and sandwiches "gweeches". He would tease us and rough house with us.
He was also a hard worker. He worked in the construction world as a heavy machine mechanic. H was so good at this that he was made Mechanical Foreman and was sought after by the best construction companies in the west. He would work long hours and as much as was needed to get the job done. This meant he would get there early to get the vehicles warming, then stay late to make sure they were ready for the next day.
I am also grateful for my step-father.
He is very kind and loving to my mom. He treats us kids with kindness. And, while he only had to raise the younger three, he was a patient parent. I can see that he taught my younger siblings important lessons. He is a worthy priesthood leader, a hard worker, and is a hard worker. He has made it possible for my mom to be at home, which she loves. He is also someone who I can turn to for advice. He sets a good example for us. His grandkids love him, and they love to be around him. He will take them with him when he goes out in the yard to work. He has a great sense of humor, and will help us to laugh at our situations.
I have been able to call on him when I've needed him. He was there when I went through my divorce, as well as when I had cancer. I can ask him advice, and he will give it. He is intelligent, and a hard worker. I love him, and am so glad he joined our family.
I am thankful for my father-in-law. When I was younger and lived down the street from them, I remember watching how he treated his family (especially his wife), how great he was, and I decided that I wanted to marry someone like him. He is a big, tough guy, but also tender, sweet, and patient. He will sit on the floor with the kids and play, read books, or just be with them. He is always busy. He has a great work ethic, and had the same job for over 40 years. He always helps anytime we need it. He taught his family important things, such as doing well at your job (be it school or work). He served in the guard, and has pride in our country. I am so glad I married his son, as I can see his wonderful qualities reflected there.
With all these great examples to see, I hope that our sons will have these same qualities. Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails